Sunday 5 May 2013

April is for...living life on the edge!

Ahhhh Autumn... you cheeky devil! I thought we had plenty of time before the chill set in, but it has snuck up on me once again. As has May... I hope you'll forgive me for the late post, but April was action-packed, and so busy I almost forgot to tell you about it. This month I had to travel down to Albury (on the NSW/Vic border) for a week of uni field work, and I seem to have brought the cool air back with me.. sorry about that folks! It was worth it though, we spent a few days in the forest counting and measuring seedlings in the forest and learning about how Eucalyptus and Callitris (Cypress Pine) trees respond to fire. It was so interesting and made me think differently about the importance of fire in Australia. But also being a bit of a nerd, part of me likes visiting a new town just to see what plants grow there! Even the street plantings were different, lovely red Berberis, lots of grasses, and a stunning Angophora with little spikes on its gumnuts. (I think it was Angophora costata but will take any other suggestions?)



In any case, I came home with a gorgeous little Eucalyptus lansdowneana "Purple Patch" to plant in the yard. It's a small tree with a semi-weeping habit and purple-pink flowers, and should be stunning in a few years' time.

We have also been working on getting the side garden edged, along the driveway on the shady southern side of the house. Shade can be a bit tricky to plant, but I like the challenge. It helps me narrow down the endless list of plants I'd like to put there, for one! I have planted a few things along there since we moved, but during summer our dog Olive liked to sit there to escape the heat. There are some survivors of her demolition work, and these include a portwine Magnolia, a Yesterday Today and Tomorrow, a lovely little native Correa alba, half a Daphne and half a white Japonica Camellia. I am choosing to see these as 'half full', and not 'half empty'... there is always hope! Under these are scattered a few hydrangeas, aquilegias, hostas and hellebores. Right at the back end I have planted a Davidson's plum, a native rainforest tree with delicious fruit that I will probably have to share with the birds. All that remains is turning it into a real garden bed, by putting in some edging. We managed to get some recycled koppers logs from a friend and dug them in, screwed to a few stakes to hold them in place. A bit of mulch finished it off nicely, and now it looks much more civilised.






















I will add a few more plants when I have more time to go nursery-hopping, I'm on the lookout for some japanese windflowers as they are looking so stunning at work right now. I usually can't leave a nursery empty handed, so I would rather wait until I can search out some real treasures to fill it out with.

                                 Japanese Windflowers in April bloom nearby

We also decided to put a garden edge on the outside of the pool fence, to help with mowing and keep the grass out of the garden beds inside. I had hoped to dig out the grass but it is far too happy where it is! I will have to give it a spray and come back when I have more time, to pull it out.




Meanwhile, inside Matt has been steaming off wallpaper like a madman, and stripping paint off skirting boards with a heat gun. The house looks better already, without the stained and peeling wallpaper (which a clever Aunt dated to about 1974). There have been a few surprise cracks and gaps beneath the wallpaper, but these should be easy enough to fix up and give a fresh coat of paint. It's all happening!





1 comment: