Monday 7 July 2014

Photo of the week - Gramma pie

We picked up a gorgeous gramma at the local farmers market, and accepted the challenge to cook my first gramma pie. I used This recipe from The Little Black Cow Blog and found the spice balance and citrus flavour to be divine. I must admit, I didn't have any oranges so I used mandarin rind instead, and also sprinkled raw sugar on the lattice top. I think it made it even better.
 
 
The pie was so warming and scrumptious, especially with a sneaky blob of cream. But a big part of the magic was watching how a 'pumpkin' became such a decadent meal. Breaking it open, the smell was so sweet it was almost like a melon. Before I even cut it , it was like a work of art - the veins and patterns on the skin had me so in awe that I was reluctant to cut it off and feed it to the worms. I'm sure they appreciated it.
 
 
For some reason the pattern put me in mind of this lovely blue swimmer crab my Dad recently caught. It must be the light/dark interactions and the wonderful detail. Entirely different meal though, I would think...

 
And yes, I just may have to find room to grow some next season... the grammas that is, I'll leave the crabs to the experts.

No comments:

Post a Comment