Saturday 12 October 2013

Photo of the week - Friend or foe?

Put on your detective hats people, I need help identifying this!

 
 
They were here when we moved in, and have little spotty lily-like leaves. The flowers are only recent, and they remind me somewhat of Muscari or Lachenalia, with a bulb like a bluebell. So I'm pretty sure it's from the Asparagus family, but I can't get any further than that! It's not in my weed book, which makes me happy, but did survive when we sprayed the couch there with roundup, which makes me nervous! I'd like to leave them there because they are so sweet, the little flowers are less than 10cm tall and have a perfect spiral pattern that has me in mind of Fibonacci and my maths days.
 
 
If you can solve my mystery, do let me know! If they are weeds I'll have to get rid of them, perfectly patterned flowers or not! If not, they can continue to grow happily under the rosemary.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Sis, someone is selling it on ebay as as ledebouria zebrina (thats what yahoo says).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds about right, ledebouria is the old name for drimiopsis, but maybe maculata rather then zebrina maybe?

    ReplyDelete